Eliquis contains the active substance apixaban and belongs to a group of medicines called anticoagulants. This medicine helps to prevent blood clots by blocking factor Xa, which is an important component in blood clotting.
Eliquis is used in adults:
– to prevent the formation of a blood clot in the heart in patients with irregular heartbeat (atrial fibrillation) and at least one additional risk factor. Blood clots can break off, reach the brain and cause a stroke, or reach another organ and interfere with normal blood flow to that organ (also known as systemic embolism). Stroke can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention.
– to treat blood clots in the veins of the legs (deep vein thrombosis) and in the blood vessels of the lungs (pulmonary embolism) and to prevent the re-formation of blood clots in the blood vessels of the legs and / or lungs.
To prevent the formation of blood clots in the heart of patients with irregular heartbeat and at least one other risk factor
The recommended dose is one Eliquis 5 mg tablet twice a day.
The recommended dose is one Eliquis 2.5 mg tablet twice a day if:
– you have severely reduced kidney function
– two or more of the following apply to you:
– your blood test results suggest reduced kidney function (serum creatinine is 1.5 mg / dl (133 micromol / l) or more)
– You are 80 years old or older
– Your weight is 60 kg or less.
The recommended dose is one tablet twice a day, for example one tablet in the morning and one in the evening.
Your doctor will decide how long your treatment should last.
For the treatment of blood clots in the veins of the legs and blood clots in the blood vessels of the lungs
The recommended dose is two Eliquis 5 mg tablets twice a day for the first 7 days, for example, two tablets in the morning and two in the evening.
After 7 days, the recommended dose is one Eliquis 5 mg tablet twice a day, for example, one tablet in the morning and one in the evening.
To prevent the recurrence of blood clots after completing a 6-month course of treatment
The recommended dose is one Eliquis 2.5 mg tablet twice a day, for example one tablet in the morning and one in the evening.